Senor and Linda Lou have been in Pueblo Alamos, Sonora, Mexico for 10 years.
Every day brings a new discovery.
They are still working on the casa............Senor says, it won't be long.........but Linda Lou says, it won't be long until what..............stay tuned to find out what's next.

Wednesday, April 2, 2014


 Buenos dias! Como estan? Senor and I have been back from San Diego for three weeks and I am still moping around, not mopping, MOPING. I know every mother reading this knows just exactly what I am talking about.  I am doing a little better this week and have started keeping busy.
Below is what I have been keeping busy with.

I am acid staining the concrete pieces that will become the floor.You can see them all piled up in the stable. I can't get to the lawn mower. And the other day one of Senor's drip hoses burst open into a twenty foot arching waterfall and he could not get to the replacement parts. So I started working on this.
 Acid staining is very interesting, not at all the nightmare I had heard it can be from people who have done it. And I realize why. These folks have decide to acid stain a floor after it was installed as something else. One did an indoor floor and the other an out door deck. The first swore it was a terror and hard to keep the stain from spreading into areas where she did not want it. The out door decker said the acid killed all of her plants around the deck. Hmmmmmm.........
 I am using Stain-Crete. Senor has 4 different colors and has experimented with all of them. He has mixed the batches to create various stains and I just use a brush and paint it on with random strokes.
Below in the two photos is the base coat, one single stain. When the stain goes on, it smokes and bubbles up. Yes I wear gloves and my kiln mask.

And here is one application of his mixed color over the base coat. After application and drying time, the concrete is rinsed. I can certainly see why those folks would have a hard time with that last process. For me it is easy, my pieces are out in the yard. I cannot imagine attempting this inside a house.
 Here are a few pieces just randomly placed on the game room floor. I am trying now to decide if we should only do this one coat over the base coat or do two which will definitely make it darker, or to mix and match, some light some dark. The stain varies in color as it dries and leaves both light and dark splotches. It does not cover in one solid color. Once the staining is all done, each piece will be coated in polyurethene.
I am happy with this project. I have absolutely no idea when the floor will be worked on, but we will sure have a lot of pieces ready when that time comes.
We are moving right along with all this stuff, the roof top on the game room has finally been finished, with all its concrete and styrofoam and sand and rebar and whatever else it is that Senor has up there.

The garden lettuce bolted while we were in San Diego and the pump switch flipped off so Humberto spent a few days watering the yard and garden by hand, pulling up water from the cistern in a bucket.
Weather does not get any better, slightly overcast with lots of cool breeze. I am loving every day.
Que le vaya bien! Linda Lou


Brenda Maas said...

Glad you are back. I missed reading of your adventures with the house progress.

Calypso said...

Floor looks to be wonderful! We are looking forward to pictures of finished work.

Linda Lou and Senor, Too said...

hey, Brenda, I will post news about house progress soon. LOVE YOUR paintings! LL
Calypso, more photos coming soon!

Judy Potter said...

Looks good! Hard to leave the kiddos for sure! I have one more week in Florida then home to spring I hope. What a good bunch of stuff you have going on. Keep on keepin on!

Judy Potter said...

Looks good! Hard to leave the kiddos for sure! I have one more week in Florida then home to spring I hope. What a good bunch of stuff you have going on. Keep on keepin on!

Brenda Maas said...

Thank you Linda