Good2go2Mexico

Senor and Linda Lou have been in Pueblo Alamos, Sonora, Mexico for 13 years.
Every day brings a new discovery.
They are still working on the casa............Senor says, it won't be long.........but Linda Lou says, it won't be long until what..............stay tuned to find out what's next.

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Senor Sabe le Todo

We see beautiful sunrises and sunsets, this one below turned the sky fiery pink, but the photo does not do the sky justice.
take my word for it.......



Look at this..................it is a clever way Bill has of keeping the boards up against the cement to prevent it from falling out onto the floor..................


I am married to a very clever man. If he were not so smart and keen about all this construction stuff we could not be doing this. He was raised in a cement loving family, his father and grandfather built concrete dams and grain facilities and bridges and I think somehow, Bill just knows cement and construction.

In fact, Bill knows alot of stuff. I call him Senor Sabe le Todo, which translates to Mr. Knowitall.
We have been married for 32 years so I am allowed to call him that.......

I am not kidding either, look at this, Senor Sabe le Todo is building a kiva fireplace in our bedroom to be....with rocks we went and gathered from the arroyo and..........lots of cement.
Kiva fireplace photo #1 is below:



In kiva photo #2 below, you can see how the art, as I am now calling it, has progressed. This will indeed be very interesting.
I am not allowed to go the arroyo unless I can find the right rocks.

Trip #1, the rocks had to all be the same size.......about 8 " and as round as possible and flat on one side................

Trip#2, the rocks all had to be square on one end and flat on one side and no more that 2" thick................good grief.

Senor made me put all of my rocks on one side of the truck and he put his on the other. He never said this out loud, but why else would he tell me to keep my rocks seperate...........he was going to inspect my rocks and make sure they were the sizes and shapes they were supposed to be......
Below, Senor and Umberto are setting up the boards and pouring concrete for a wall that will hide the cistern and the propane tanks and water pumps....

They are still shoring up things around here, and Senor Sabe le Todo is checking into a new type of roofing that might prevent me from having to make over a thousand cement placas (these square things that are about 8x4") for the roof.
The plan has been placas.........for which I will have a form and be able to make 8 placas at a time............. cement beams, plastic sheeting, gravel, styrafoam, a layer of dirt and a thin layer of cement (I may have the order wrong), but Senor is checking into a new plan...............I hope it eliminates the placas.
A local architect is supposed to come out today and let Senor know if this new type of roof will work on our casa. Half of our casa is perhaps 70 years old and the other half is 30 or so years old, we aren't really sure about that, but the older section is all adobe and has very, thick walls.
I just have my fingers crossed because do you have any idea at all how long it will take to make one thousand cement placas?
Senor Sabe le Todo says...............ah, no time at all, you will get the hang of it real quick, maybe I can make you 2 forms.......
One of the best things we have done was to buy a cement mixer in Obregon at Home Depot.....
While Senor has been doing rock and cement art, I have done one firing in the jenn kiln.
Here are the before and afters. I also just spent 2 weeks making adjustments to the glasspondstudio website, www.glasspondstudio.com and updating the etsy shop. You can go to etsy.com and click on buy and click on sellers and type in glasspondstudio (you aren't buying anything, you are just navigating your way to my shop).
I finally put my handmade Christmas cards in the shop. So you can see those there or you can forget all that and ignore my art and wait for me to post something new that Senor Sabe le Todo has created with cement and rocks....
Senor just came back with a topochico and some cookies for me! Isn't he nice?!!!!

The kilns and stuff are at home in one of the large shower stalls.....

Tomorrow we go the states to visit our kids for Thanksgiving! Hasta la Vista!!!!!!

No comments: