Good2go2Mexico

Senor and Linda Lou have been in Pueblo Alamos, Sonora, Mexico for 13 years.
Every day brings a new discovery.
They are still working on the casa............Senor says, it won't be long.........but Linda Lou says, it won't be long until what..............stay tuned to find out what's next.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Looking for the White Pelicans

 Hola! Buen dia and it is really a buen dia here in Alamos. The day is warm and sunny but the breeze is keeping the temperatures down and it is perfect.

Senor and I drove up to Mocuzari recently. This is a huge lake that backs up against the stone dam which lets out water to fill the Mayo River. The water in the Mayo is critical to the agricultural fields between Navajoa and the Sea of Cortez. We went there looking for the white pelicans and we found them. Of course, they were beautiful.

 What we did not find was much water in the lake. There were a number of fishermen and we imagine there were a lot of fish concentrated in the small amount of water there. The last time we were at Mocuzari there was enough water that we could see it flowing out and into the river. But that is not the case now. It only confirms the significant amount of water shortage we are suffering here in the state of Sonora. 

 Here it looks like the boat was completely grounded and then abandoned. In the background you can see the foothills of the Copper Canyon and if you look closely you can see the stone dam and there is no water behind it. The terrain has a muted surreal quality to it and while we were glad to see wildlife in the area, rabbits, birds and even grazing horses and cattle, the moonscape and its lack of color was surprising.




Senor discovered most of the bases of the rocky foothills were loaded with fallen granite, so he had a great time filling up new old car with rocks to bring back home for his fireplace in the sala. So now along with all the other things that try and trip me up on a regular basis, we have rocks everywhere. Some days I wonder how I stay on my feet.
So I am grateful to my blogger friend, Jacqui, who tells me I can still return to the old format if I want, but I think I will stay with this for awhile and see if I can adapt. I know someday blogger will not give me the option to switch back, so I should try and figure it out now.
I need to get down to the Mercado and pick up paper for the origami whopping cranes I am making for KD and Darin's wedding and I need to fill you in on the wedding plans as well. So, hopefully manana you will hear from me again.
Meanwhile, que tengas un buen dia.......linda lou

4 comments:

Linda (Lou) S. Jackson said...

Hi there, I'm a "Linda Lou" who moved to Mexico, too! We also bought an old house that we've been updating for the past 6 years. It's been an adventure, for sure. But we're in the Yucatan, in a small fishing village not too far from the capital of Merida. I found your blog through a post on Facebook, and look forward to reading all your other blog entries.

Anonymous said...

hi there,

did you know that there are white pelicans in eastern wa? we lived in ellensburg from 2006-08. as i was driving around the canyon towards yakima one day, i noticed what i thought were pelicans. i couldn't believe my eyes. next time i drove by i saw them again in the same river, so i got out to look at them and read up on them afterwards. i thought they were just native to the tropics and only around the ocean..

take care,

teresa in nagoya

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I was happy to see a new bloggy friend when I opened my blog this morning! I want to move to Mexico, too!! If I ever retire and sell this kampground. Oh, and I have to convince he who does not like my plan that it is really his idea.
I love the idea of living in a quaint little place and remodeling a home.

Teri said...

Saludos Linda Lou - I was born and raised in Navojoa. Moved the states in '77 with my family. I used to go to Mocuzarit time and time again with my father, family, friends. It broke my heart to see it so dry. I could hardly believe it. Back in the day it was always full. We spent many days there swimming, fishing, boating, water skiing. I LOVE going there. I'm so sad to see it so dried up. Thanks for the blog. Love Alamos. Would love to retire there some day, but doubt that will ever happen. Buena suerte con tu aventura, y ojalá pudieras mandarme esos tomates, porque los de acá simplemente no son lo mismo!!! Hay!!!! Y Queso Chihuahua!!! Es único!!! Se me hace agua la boca ya!

Saludos desde Texas!