Good2go2Mexico

Senor and Linda Lou have been in Pueblo Alamos, Sonora, Mexico for 13 years.
Every day brings a new discovery.
They are still working on the casa............Senor says, it won't be long.........but Linda Lou says, it won't be long until what..............stay tuned to find out what's next.

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

I am an Easy Person to Please


And that is a 2008, photo of our truck and Uhaul which we loaded up in Carnation, Washington, on Memorial Day weekend. Just an old photo, no need to get excited, we are not returning to the states. What an amazing weekend that was. I can hardly believe it was six years ago. If you read that post, posted in June of 2008, we drove forty five minutes up to Snoqualmie Pass and crashed, total burn out, then the following day we began working our way down to Mexico. What an incredible six years. And no, the novelty of it all has absolutely not worn off........

So we did not purposely decide to take a trip to celebrate those six years, but we are up in Tucson, to get a few things we need for the casa. I needed a tv.
We are not anti tv, not anti cable, not anti dish, we just know that is something we don't need right now otherwise we would probably spend too much time watching it. And after all, we are supposed to be working on this house.

But, the World Cup is coming. Four years ago, during the last one, we were able to watch almost all  of it on the internet. Well, there has been a crack down on that and we can hardly get any soccer now.
So, I decided to go to Goodwill while we are up here and buy an old tv which will work in Mexico. My friends assure me they watched a gazillion games televised by Mexico, from South Africa four years ago, on their regular old tv's.

Believe me, there are lots and lots of old tv's in Alamos, but the vendors want around four hundred pesos for the little teeny ones. I am too thrifty to pay that for an old used tv. Maybe that is the wrong word, I am too cheap to pay so much for something so cheap........ yes, that sounds better.

So, it was 'senior discount day' at the Tucson Ina Road Goodwill. I made Senor go with me. He hates that place. I don't why, I always find some cool stuff in there. I found the tv, he checked it out at the electrical station, good static, volume and channel buttons works fine. Check out, $3.50, good deal and Senor goes and loads it in the back end and waits while I do a little more shopping.

He's bored, and I take him to the hotel and plan to go back to Goodwill which is very close to the hotel. I love Ina Road, everything I need is within a five mile trip.

Back at Goodwill, I find a nice crystal ashtray, they make great little bird feeders out in the garden. I open the back end of the car to put it in and new old tv falls out, crashes on the asphalt, splits it's side and scratches up the front so badly that we would never see the USA play Mexico.   I confess I almost left it there, it is after all the near the donation door, but I struggle to shove it up and back into the car. I go back into Goodwill and look at the other tv's. I decide we don't have room for two, besides I have not even gone over to the second hand store yet on Speedway where I hope to score a couple of chairs that I want to chalk paint.

But I want a new old tv that works. I can't miss the World Cup. The Goodwill helper boy checks out a new, new old tv for me. Good static, channel and volume buttons work. I take it, $2.50 and I drive up to the donation door and donate the new old tv that is possibly now busted and the helper boy loads the other one. I am happy.

Senor and I drive back to Goodwill to look at something I saw on my second trip there that I am interested in buying and refinishing. Normally  I would not ask his opinion about that, I would just buy it. On the drive the car overheats, the radiator is busted.

So, there is no more shopping on my horizon, thankfully we got the other important items right before the radiator decided to go.
We only got here yesterday.
So here we are, in the hotel, unable to drive new old car, watching soccer on the tv.
We are getting some things fixed and then, coming home.
But we coming home with a new old tv. I am an easy person to please.
hasta la vista!!

4 comments:

Brenda Maas said...

Too funny, you had us both laughing with the TV situation.
Sorry about the radiator; but perhaps better that it went in the USA than back home. Our landlords here waited forever to get a new radiator for their 1/2 truck from Tuscon. The first one came and was dented so they had to order another one. Crazy, not sure why they couldn't get one here as their truck should be from here; but whatever. So, maybe it is a good thing that yours died up there.
Hope things go better for you on the way home and let Senor unload the new old TV when you get home lol.

Gin said...

Linda, that story was too much. You never fail to regale us with your fun adventures. Makes me almost miss Alamos, lol. Tucson was my favorite destination when we lived in Alamos. I furnished my casa with Early Goodwill.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe we have been following you for six years. There bloggers and then there are blog readers.

Good luck with the new, new, old TV. If you have cable service, they still work in the US. I am not sure about the dish.

And also good luck with the radiator. It would be a good time to change out the hoses and belts too. Especially, the timing belt. If that goes, the engine valves take a hit.

Good luck on the way home.

Bob Gill
Phoenix, AZ

Ralph and Chris said...

I was just in Tucson today...you have such adventures!! Loved the TV story. Also love thrift shopping, have been following your chalk paint ideas on Pinterest. Interesting.