Good2go2Mexico

Senor and Linda Lou have been in Pueblo Alamos, Sonora, Mexico for 13 years.
Every day brings a new discovery.
They are still working on the casa............Senor says, it won't be long.........but Linda Lou says, it won't be long until what..............stay tuned to find out what's next.

Sunday, October 12, 2008

I haven't posted for awhile......

....as we only recently received phone and internet service here and I've been muy busy with projects around the house; in spite of having numerous urgings to post some humerous responses to mi esposa's posts.

Today everything has changed.

I feel compelled to post. The situation in Alamos as a result of "Norbert" (does it matter if it is 'officially' a hurricane vs. storm, or what catagory it is classified as?) is very tragic in the pure Greek sense of the word. I just re-read Linda's earlier post written before the storm, and am now comparong it to what happened last night and seen for the first time today. Tragedy.

I spent several days preparing for this storm, my first "hurricane". I was tempted to post yesterday before it landed about 'gringo's paranoia'. Last night the wind (my worst fear) howled and the rain battered the windows. In the morning, Linda went for her usual 6 am walk. i arose a few minutes later, anxious to inspect any damage to our casa, which was untouched, when Linda came baxk and said " Oh my God, you believe what happened in town...you have got to come with me!"

I can not do justice in attempting to describe what we saw as we walked for hours surveying the town. The pictures posted are simply that. One would have to be here to witness the true damage. The empty spaces where casas used to stand. Shoulder high boulders that were swept into town (a Mexican friend said he heard them around midnight after the power had gone out). The short-bed pickup truck this morning with a small coffin in the back......

As I introduced this post, I felt compelled. I am now exhausted, feel lucky to be unscathed, and grieve for so many who have lost so much.

No comments: