Good2go2Mexico

Senor and Linda Lou have been in Pueblo Alamos, Sonora, Mexico for 13 years.
Every day brings a new discovery.
They are still working on the casa............Senor says, it won't be long.........but Linda Lou says, it won't be long until what..............stay tuned to find out what's next.

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

It's Beginning to Feel alot like Christmas

Here is the beautiful sight we came home to this last week...........hillside upon hillside, covered with flowering amapa trees. It is breathtaking, so colorful, it's gorgeous................so gorgeous that I have decided to show you five photos worth!!!










Many of the deciduous trees have lost, or are losing their leaves, and the cactus are more exposed, looking like tall green men reaching their arms out to the hills. I think we have finally moved into the autumn season here. The grass is turning brown, trees are getting bare, and the the days are a little overcast, breezy and some light sprinkling falls once in awhile.
Our border crossing was absolutely uneventful. No one stopped us leaving the US, no one stopped us going into Mexico at the Nogales Mariposa crossing, and no one stopped us at the KM21 crossing either. The federales waved us through their checkpoints and that was that.
Now, back home for a week, Bill is working on the casa, and I have been busy on the Glass Pond Studio website and etsy shop...................and baking cookies. I have baked cookies for a week, and have decided that it is a kind of therapy for me.
I had a meltdown after leaving Colorado. It was wonderful to be there for Thanksgiving with our kids, but the thought of not being together for the first time for Christmas was pretty powerful. I always feel better after a meltdown, but once we got to Alamos, I had another and then, another. So, I started baking cookies and well, I'm doing good now...... I can handle Christmas..... I know it.
In all, I have baked 16 dozen cookies since we have returned...mexican wedding cookies, lime zest drop cookies, chocolate pecan merinque kisses, pecan shortbread cookies, gingerbread cookies, sugar cookies......
Yesterday, I boxed up cookies in small take out boxes that I found at Super Tito's Market and then, went for a walk. I gave cookies to alot of mexicans and foreigners that I have come to know....................it felt really good.
Last night I went to a Christmas carol rehearsal. A group of people will rehearse again next week and then, on December 21st, we will go around town, singing carols. I did not know if I could handle that because singing carols with many friends and neighbors has always been a huge part of our Christmas back in Washington. I was actually prepared to have a meltdown and leave the rehearsal, but guess what? I loved it!
Today, I am thinking about a tree. I refuse to decorate a palm tree, and I am planning to unpack a few boxes of decorations, just to take a look. I also want to go to the alameda, where a man was selling all kinds of nuts out of a wheelbarrow. I think I will make some white chocolate cookies filled with dried jicama blossoms and pecans........doesn't that sound good?
It's beginning to feel alot like Christmas............



2 comments:

Ian Huntington said...

Hi,

Really enjoyed your post. The pictures of the amapa trees are beautiful. I plan to use those trees in my garden when I move down.
Appreciate reading about the emotional adjustments you're feeling - entirely understandable.

Unknown said...

Buenos Dias,
As a recently retired citizen of the third age I have been visiting many blogs of Americans retiring to Mexico
some of them write about the way of life,food,weather,people,folklore, customs,religion etc., without their intentions their observations/criticism are at times hurtful to the Mexican ear. Many times forgetting that they are not in the USA.
You writing is heartfelt, honest and emotional. You see the people and this country as it is and join the community of human beings in their daily lives with optimism, honesty and brotherhood. Your lending a hand during the hurricane moved me. Gracias
Jose