Good2go2Mexico

Senor and Linda Lou have been in Pueblo Alamos, Sonora, Mexico for 13 years.
Every day brings a new discovery.
They are still working on the casa............Senor says, it won't be long.........but Linda Lou says, it won't be long until what..............stay tuned to find out what's next.

Sunday, June 8, 2014

Dia de San Juan Rain Contest

 Buenas tardes!

Every day the rain gets a little closer to us. See those mountains in the top photo? They are not even mountains, they are rain clouds building to the east, over the Copper Canyon.
It is pretty exciting to see the clouds. These began early this Sunday morning. I first saw them around five am and there was a strong cool breeze coming along with them. Now, at one in the afternoon, they are still there, but more broken apart and beginning to billow up with creamy white fluffs on top.
Each day they get larger and each evening they appear to be closer.

If you have followed the blog for awhile, then you're most likely familiar with the Rain Contest I have each summer in honor of the Patron Saint of Water, San Juan Bautista. His Saint day is on the Mexican calendar, June 24, and that day is believed to be the official day of the beginning of the rainy season.

I have never had rules for the rain contest, but last year over 100 people participated, so this year I find I need rules. They are easy.

Just guess a DATE and TIME, and SPECIFY AM or PM that you think the rains will begin. Your guess must be for the 24th of June and beyond that date...( no guesses for dates prior to the 24th)............

Yes, you can pick the 24th, the actual date, but several years ago, the rains did not start until July 4th. So, you choose.

You have until June 16 to get your guess in, that's 8 days from now. No more guesses after that.

And I get to choose which rain qualifies as the Big One. Last year's rain was really good on the 12th, and I counted that as the beginning, but it was super good on a later date after the 24th. So I gave a prize for the rain on the 12th, and then extended the contest and had a second prize and winner.

I have decided that waiting for the actual official Saint Day of the 24th is more exciting....and more official. So it may rain before the 24th, but the winning guess will be for the 24th and beyond.

Yes, you can pass this on to your friends, but if I don't know them, and someone else makes the same choice before them, you'll probably have to mediate to let them know to pick another date and time.

The time, and whether it is AM or PM is really critical for me. You have to include that, if you don't, I'll just remind you.

And below, is what you will win if your DATE and TIME, with AM or PM, is on the money.
I keep a ledger and every person's name gets written down with their DATE and TIME and  AM or PM.

You don't have to leave your guess here on the blog. You can put it on the Glasspondstudio facebook page, https://www.facebook.com/Glasspondstudio?ref=hl
Or you can email me your choice, or you can post it to my Etsy shop ( the link is on the right of the blog, just keep scrolling), you can call me up on the telephone or tell me on the street.

I always have a lot of fun doing this. I hope you do, too!!
Linda Lou

10 comments:

Brenda Maas said...

Decisions, decisions, hmmm when will it rain?

My choice is July 12, (Roys birthday) at 4:00 PM en la tarde.

Your work is lovely as always. :)

Linda Lou and Senor, Too said...

hey, Brenda, got it down, thank you! It is very cloudy here now, to the west!LL

sparks_mex said...

The "Rain Season" has come and gone down here.

The Chapala.com first rain contest still has not been decided even tho they've had lots of rain.

Has to come from the East for so many days and inches. Very crazy.

Hope you don't irritate too many with your rules and regs ;)

Linda Lou and Senor, Too said...

Hi Sparks, thanks for the comments, but no guess for the contest? I hope I didn't irritate you with the rules!!! I will have to check out the Chapala contest, very cool!

sparks_mex said...

I'm not in tune with weather that far north .... even less than I am in Chapala. I just think the contests are funny.

Rain on the southern Jalisco coast started about 3 weeks ago ... so the no-contest is over here.

JRinSC said...

Hi Linda Lou,

This year's winner is (hopefully) June 30 (my wife's birthday) at 4:05 pm

Barbilou said...

Hi Brenda! I'm a tad north of you in Kino Bay, but am predicting July 2 at 6:00 AM. And, man can we use it!
Barb Durham

Brenda Maas said...

Hi Barb, yes I read your blog :).
Rain would be nice, as long as it is not a bad storm.

Linda Lou and Senor, Too said...

hey, JR in SC! I have not heard from you in a long time. I have your guess down and it would be a great surprise for your wife if you win (even tho she has a pair of my marigold earrings already!) You can never have too many jewels! good luck! LL

Linda Lou and Senor, Too said...

Barbilou! How are you? It's great to hear from you. I think of you every time we go north and pass the 'To Kino Bay' sign. I have you guess in the ledger! How is your Etsy? Are you still knitting and crocheting? Good luck in the contest and yes, we all need rain!! LL